March 31, 2008

Mr. Clive Crook. Now you please repeat after me too

Sir Clive Crook is absolutely right when titling “Markets need more than a patch-up” March 31, and ending it with “We need an entirely new model” as in between he really wavers around among a world of possibilities.

Now given that Crook gives so much weight to the issue of moral hazard that he orders us to “Repeat after me: you encourage recklessness if you protect people from its consequences” and which I duly did, I would love Crook to return the favour and also repeat after me that “you encourage carelessness if you make it to be seen that risks could indeed be measured and nominate credit rating agencies as duly qualified to do just that.”

Regulators really have tremendous workload cut out for them especially when they have not yet really decided the objective of their regulation correctly, since avoiding defaults and crisis cannot be the only societal role of a financial system.